Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Unspeakable, Part 13

She whirled around in terror, and found herself looking into a familiarly nondescript face. Sally? he said inquiringly. He tilted his head. What did you do to your hair?



Boy, she gasped, please don’t tell anyone I’m here.

Why? Boy asked, his brow furrowing. What’s wrong? His gaze sharpened. What happened to you, Sally? Where are you assigned now? I looked for you after your evaluation.

Sally could’ve cried. She had almost forgotten Boy, how good a friend he was. We were supposed to meet, she said, I’m sorry. It all happened so fast. He asked again, what did?

She took a breath. The dungeons, okay? she whispered. I’m assigned to the dungeons. I’m going back, I promise, but we- I need these. She clutched the bandages.

Boy’s frown slowly deepened. He looked over his shoulder at the tumult of the main lab. Come with me, he said after a moment. They crept out the back door, Sally’s heart hammering.

They went to Boy’s quarters, a nondescript room in a nondescript hallway; the fate of most oddies. Right now Sally was grateful he hadn’t made the cut for the FO program.

You want a shower? he asked. Sally rubbed her arms indecisively. Do you have one? He jerked his head at the doorway again. It’s down the hall, he said, but I’ll keep a lookout.

No thanks, Sally said regretfully. Gotta keep my hair covered.

That seems a shame, he said. It always cheered me up. She smiled in spite of her anxiety. Thanks, Boy. She took a shaky breath, trying not to let her voice break. It’s so good to see you.

He watched her for a minute. Then he went to his desk and found a standard dried ration. He came over and extended it to her. You look hungry, he said. She took it and ate without question.

Tell me, Sally, he said, tell me what happened. Tell me what you need. She glanced at him, still eating, trying to decide what to say. You can trust me, he said gently.

She licked her fingers and sighed, trying again to not get choked up. Boy, I don’t want to get you in trouble, she said. The council could ruin you for helping-- me. I’ve been in the dungeons long enough to know you don’t deserve that.

I just want to help, Boy said, it’s the right thing to do. He touched her hand. Tell me what you need. What you ALL need. She caught his knowing look and bit her lip.

There are seven of us, she blurted out. That we know of. Just seven.

Do you need food? he asked, watching her lick the ration wrapper clean. She shook her head. We get by. Rubbish heap. We need medical. Her hands trembled, and she clenched and unclenched them. We need protection. There’s-- there’s something else down there, she whispered.

What is it? he asked. She shook her head. Don’t know. Vicious. Violent. Boy nodded slowly. Which is why you need medical, he said. She nodded shakily. Are you hurt?

She shook her head again. Not me. One of the guys. He’s just a kid, Boy, she begged, he’s no harm to anyone, not the council, not anyone.

Boy touched her hand again. I’ll get you medical, he said, whatever you need.

Boy, she said, shaking her head, but he stopped her. It’s okay, he said. I took the med course, I do assignments there. I can get supplies.

Still a jack of all trades then, she said, almost smiling, you know that’s why you’re not an operative already. He smiled. I’m right where I wanna be. Especially now.

He told her to wait. He came back with more food, then went out again, He came back intermittently with more supplies. She napped on his bed and worried about the others.

As he helped load her up, he said don’t worry, I’ll make sure you get through safely. Just move quick. He pressed her hand and she met his eyes. There’s a communicator in there, he said. You’re not alone anymore. Tell the others.

We won’t forget this, Boy, she said. I won’t forget this. He smiled. It’s the right thing to do, he said with a shrug. Now go.

She rushed down the halls in a blur, unable to believe her luck. But that was Boy for you. She swallowed hard, staring down at the sucking darkness of the chute. Think of Shylock, she thought. Think of Boy. She took one last look around the sunlit hallway. I’ll be back.

She dropped the excess bags down that wouldn’t be hurt by the drop, then started down. It seemed to take longer for her eyes to adjust to the darkness than it had to the light.

As she descended she suddenly felt hands that could only be Ivan’s on her waist, helping her down. Mander and Sequoia were hefting the bags. Connie already had one in the hammock.

Whoa, she said, opening it, jackpot! Sequoia peered at her incredulously. How did you get all this? Mander asked. Sally said, guardian angel, and hurried past them.

Miles, she said, approaching the chair beside the slab. Miles looked up sharply, a hand on Shylock’s shoulder. She grinned in spite of herself. I think I got you your advocate after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment